One of the reasons we all enjoy creativity is it can be so much fun! And no one knows that better than makers who use creativity to express themselves through artistry, Cosplay, Scifi and Fantasy. Some of these projects are simple, but some are very complex and use a lot of advanced technology. This year Houston Mini Maker Faire (Sat & Sun, 11/12-13 @ GRB Hall A) will have more cosplay exhibits than ever before, and several learning sessions where you can gain knowledge about how to do projects yourself. Click here for more information about the planned exhibits on the theme of Cosplay, Scifi and Fantasy.
Discount tickets are available online (click on the “Buy Tickets” button) but are ending soon — enter discount code Max2 at the “Enter promotional code” link for half-off on the ticketing web page.
Posted in About HMMF, Arts, Attractions, Be A Maker, Crafting, News, Tickets
Tagged cosplay, Crafting, creativity, fantasy, scifi
We love it when the capability of making meets the fantasy of sci-fi and storytelling! See how makers are combining these elements to create new levels of fun and entertainment. With all the movie-making going on these days, it’s a great time to be a Star Wars ™ and Star Trek ™ fan or any of the other great storylines — but it’s even more fun when you can dress for the occasion! Here’s a list of some of the exhibitors who plan to be at Houston Mini Maker Faire (check back for updates):
- 1701st Squadron (Star Trek fans and cosplayers)
- Comicpalooza Cosplayers: no one in Houston does Cosplay to huge scale and effect like Compicpalooza! Visit their booth as they show some of their best and share tips and insights on making your own cosplay.
- Creatorspace: a great local makerspace in the NASA area. Members create some cosplay projects, including a great K9 robot dog from Dr. Who. (Speaking of Dr. Who, look carefully and you’ll see related imagery and creations all around Maker Faire!)
- HCC (Houston Community College) Student Projects: new tech and maker tools like 3D printing can help you achieve amazing things!
- Intrepid Productions are copslay makers extraordinaire! If you think big and out of the box when it comes to cosplay, you need to spend some time with Intrepid.
- Miral Kotb and Iluminate: Miral is an early visionary in the integration of tech into art forms (in her case, dance and costumes). As an active maker and artist across multiple mediums, we’re happy to welcome this native Houstonian back for a visit to Maker Faire!
R2GN3 from “DarkKnight6768” of R2D2 Builders Club
Proto MX Makerspace: another great local makerspace with tech and making capabilities to help you tech up your cosplay!
The full-size Minecraft Creeper robot by Techno Chaos loves cosplay!
R2GN3 from R2D2 Builders Club: see this fantastic “R2” astromech, right before the next Star Wars ™ movie comes out!
- Tech Cosplay: there will be many roaming exhibitors showing their fantastic real-world examples of how amazing it is to integrate technology — sometimes a LOT of it — into cosplay.
- Techno Chaos: their full-size Minecraft Creeper robot shows how technology can bring more power to fun!
- TX-RX Labs: many of the advanced Houston cosplayers make their designs at TX-RX Labs, the largest makerspace in Texas. Visit their exhibit to see how a makerspace can help you dream and achieve big!