There are maker-related events all year round in 2016 in the greater Houston area. Here are some key events so you can plan ahead:
- 3/18-19: Greater Houston Hamfest focusing on amateur radio (Ft Bend County Fairgrounds, Rosenberg)
- 4/2-3: Science Hack Day Houston. Crams bright creative minds together for almost 48 hours to see what amazing things emerge! (The Houston Museum of Natural Science)
- 4/8-9: Lone Star Robotics Regional, one of the largest robotics tournaments in Texas. Check this out to see firsthand what “sports for the mind” can do! (GRB CC)
- 4/9: Houston Art Car Parade (note: the route has changed for this year — it will follow Smith St. in downtown Houston)
- 6/17-19: Maker Hall @ Comicpalooza. Bringing science fiction together with science fact — what’s better than that?! (GRB CC)
- 6/23-25: the MATE International ROV (robotics) Competition (the subject of the movies “Spare Parts” and “Underwater Dreams”) is in town! The venue doesn’t have much viewing area so you won’t be able to get in, but this is so cool we just have to list it. And they will stream a video feed from the event.
- 7/9-10: the Brick Fiesta LEGO fan event and exhibition happens at the Galleria. Open to the public for a small entry fee, this event is for you and your kids if you love LEGO bricks or just want to learn more about the artistic, creative and engineering side of this ubiquitous building block. The models on display will be amazing! (Galleria)
- 11/12-13: the Houston Mini Maker Faire returns to the GRB for a larger 2-day event! Come join us as we amp up the volume on invention and creativity in the Greater Houston Area! (GRB CC)
- April 2017: the FIRST Robotics Championship, the world-class international competition, will be in Houston. As many as 50,000 visitors will travel here to participate and watch. (GRB CC, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park)
We will update this list as new events are published.
Thanks to everyone that joined us today. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Setup on November 13th, 2015.
Day of the Event November 14th, 2015
How Rockets Fly by Tripoli Houston Rocketry Club
Startup Show Case – Arovia
Note: this link has been revised to show the updated design of this product. Like all tech-based products under development, there have been many improvements from the initial demo prototypes. Click here to see the latest design and follow this exciting team at Arrovia.io .
This event is for registered Makers, exhibitors, food trucks and vendors only. This will be our final meet-up before the Houston Mini Maker Faire. Schedule:
- Thursday October 23, 6:00 – 8:30 pm
- 6 – 7 pm: social / get to know each other (finger food and sodas)
- 7 – 8 pm: info meeting to present and discuss final event plans and answer as many questions as we can
- 8:30 pm: must exit by this time.
Bring your children and let them play in the Museum — it’s free on Thursday evenings until 8 pm. And thanks again to the Children’s Museum of Houston (1500 Binz St, Houston, TX 77004) for hosting our meeting! Check in at the front desk and ask for the “Houston Mini Maker Faire” meeting to get directions.
Teachers — you inspire us! You have such an important role in the development of your students, and we really appreciate it. So in return, we’d like to share with you a heaping-big helping of inspiration by inviting you to attend the Houston Mini Maker Faire 2014 for free! Here’s how to get your free pass:
1) Go to the ticketing website and register for a “Teachers Get In Free” ticket
2) Tell your classes, fellow faculty and friends about Houston Mini Maker Faire (there’s plenty of information on this website and on our Facebook page)
3) Print out some of our event posters (click here for full sheet and half-sheet formats) and place and share them as appropriate at your schools
4) Bring and show your valid current teacher ID when you check in at the front desk of the Houston Mini Maker Faire on Saturday 11/1/2014.
(Note: this offer is extended to current active teachers in public and private schools, and to teaching staff at colleges and universities, only)
Here’s the official poster / flyer design for Houston Mini Maker Faire 2014! Please help us spread the word about this amazing event by emailing the poster to your family, friends and colleagues; posting them in your social networks; or by printing some out and placing them in your workplace, school, on any community bulletin board (many of your favorite coffee and snack shops have these), or any other place where lots of people will see them. And yes, there are clues on the poster about some super-cool things we haven’t announced yet! Stay tuned….
Full-sheet design: PDF, PNG (standard graphics format)
Half-sheet design: PDF, PNG (standard graphics format)
Maker Meet-Up #1 will be at Children’s Museum of Houston starting at 7 pm on Thursday 9/25. This meeting is to build community and share information about plans and arrangements for the Houston Mini Maker Faire 2014. Please attend if you’re already registered as a maker, volunteer or vendor, or thinking about it. We’ll focus most of the information into 1 hour (7-8 pm), but will have time available for your Q&A. The Children’s Museum is located at 1500 Binz St. and attendance is free. Check-in at the CMH front desk for directions to the Maker Meet-Up conference room.
Our thanks to the Children’s Museum of Houston (a Houston Mini Maker Faire sponsor) for hosting this meeting!
Here’s the graphic we’ve selected to use as the logo for the Houston (Mini) Maker Faire going forward. It’s designed to convey the tremendous engineering achievement and innovative potential of the Greater Houston Area! We hope it inspires all the Makers, inventors, creatives and innovators — and those wanting to jump into the Maker Movement — in our special corner of the world….
One of the best ways to maximize your Maker Faire experience is to volunteer. All of the main volunteer needs are now listed on the Volunteer page — please check it out let us know how you can help us deliver an unforgettable event!
Thanks for checking into the Houston Mini Maker Faire! This is an amazing family-friendly event that is informative and inspirational to both newcomers and repeat-attenders. We encourage you to act now:
- Attend: you can purchase tickets online now
- Participate: register now to be a maker and exhibitor at the event
- Volunteer: many volunteers are needed — and get some great benefits too!
- Sponsor: your funding will help us spread the inspiration of the Maker Movement throughout the Greater Houston Area
The HMMF team has been busy planning a bigger better Maker Faire for you! We’ve added 5,000 square feet of inside exhibition space, and will re0rganize the main hall to accommodate even more makers with better sight lines for attendees and exhibitors.
And, given the excellent weather we’re expecting in the early-Fall timing of our event, we’re arranging for more outdoor exhibits and activities. Plus, we’re inviting a great variety of Houston’s best food trucks back to provide outstanding choices for dining and snacking. (Please go to our Facebook page and tell us which food trucks we should include in the arrangements, and we’ll do our best to get them there.)
Please share any ideas and suggestions that will help us make HMMF 2014 a can’t-miss memorable event for all active and aspiring makers throughout Houston!