Mark your calendars — the Houston Mini Maker Faire will be at the GRB Convention Center for a 2-day event on November 12-13, 2016! Come join us and be part of our growth story as we boost invention and creativity throughout the Greater Houston Area by developing a world-class exhibition right here at home. With your support we’ll bring more exhibits, activities and mental stimulation — new and exciting things for both Maker-Faire “veterans” and newbies. We’ll share more insights about content, schedule, tickets and Maker (exhibitor) registration in the near future.
There are maker-related events all year round in 2016 in the greater Houston area. Here are some key events so you can plan ahead:
- 3/18-19: Greater Houston Hamfest focusing on amateur radio (Ft Bend County Fairgrounds, Rosenberg)
- 4/2-3: Science Hack Day Houston. Crams bright creative minds together for almost 48 hours to see what amazing things emerge! (The Houston Museum of Natural Science)
- 4/8-9: Lone Star Robotics Regional, one of the largest robotics tournaments in Texas. Check this out to see firsthand what “sports for the mind” can do! (GRB CC)
- 4/9: Houston Art Car Parade (note: the route has changed for this year — it will follow Smith St. in downtown Houston)
- 6/17-19: Maker Hall @ Comicpalooza. Bringing science fiction together with science fact — what’s better than that?! (GRB CC)
- 6/23-25: the MATE International ROV (robotics) Competition (the subject of the movies “Spare Parts” and “Underwater Dreams”) is in town! The venue doesn’t have much viewing area so you won’t be able to get in, but this is so cool we just have to list it. And they will stream a video feed from the event.
- 7/9-10: the Brick Fiesta LEGO fan event and exhibition happens at the Galleria. Open to the public for a small entry fee, this event is for you and your kids if you love LEGO bricks or just want to learn more about the artistic, creative and engineering side of this ubiquitous building block. The models on display will be amazing! (Galleria)
- 11/12-13: the Houston Mini Maker Faire returns to the GRB for a larger 2-day event! Come join us as we amp up the volume on invention and creativity in the Greater Houston Area! (GRB CC)
- April 2017: the FIRST Robotics Championship, the world-class international competition, will be in Houston. As many as 50,000 visitors will travel here to participate and watch. (GRB CC, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park)
We will update this list as new events are published.
We thank everyone who participated in and attended our recent Houston Mini Maker Faire: attendees, volunteers — and especially the sponsors and exhibitors/makers! You helped us make this an outstanding event with something for everyone, and whet our appetites for more. That’s why we’re making preparations for the 2016 event, and we plan to make it even bigger and better. We’ll announce details as soon as we can.
We have a lot to be thankful for as we look back on 2015. Please take a few minutes to check out these event highlights from the “official” makezine.com website. With 134 registered exhibits — many with multiple things to show and share — we could only cover a small fraction in this overview, but we were so impressed with everything we saw as we worked with the exhibitors and makers during the event. Thanks again — and we wish you the very best in 2016!
Whether you joined us in person on our big day (11/14/2015) or are seeing this for the first time, you’ll enjoy this overview of the recent Houston Mini Maker Faire. The video is a quick summary of many of the exhibits at our event, with a special focus on the unique content shown by Houston Community College (HCC). And, frankly, we just can’t get enough of Larry the Lounge Lobster and the Sashimi Tabernacle Choir!…. ;-}
(Thanks to Gina Monteleone from Stafford Municipal/Educational TV for producing this video.)
Thanks to everyone that joined us today. We look forward to seeing you next year.
Setup on November 13th, 2015.
Day of the Event November 14th, 2015
How Rockets Fly by Tripoli Houston Rocketry Club
Startup Show Case – Arovia
Come join us for a day full of imagination and inspiration! Saturday 11/14 10a-5p @ George R. Brown Convention Center Hall B3.
How do you describe an event with really interesting things to do and learn for all ages? With fascinating traditional crafts — and the latest tech even the uber-geeks haven’t seen yet? Where families come for the kids — but stay for the parents? Cool things to discover around every corner, and lots of hands-on activities? Special things to buy like hand-crafted gifts, tech kits and tools? With 130 booths and 250 exhibitors? That’s easy — it’s the Houston Mini Maker Faire at the George R. Brown Convention Center (Hall B3 — and yes, we’re filling all of it!) on Saturday, 11/14 from 10 am to 5 pm. If you’ve never been to a Maker Faire, it can be a bit difficult to explain — think of it as part old-time country fair mixed with a good slice of science fair with a fun side to it. Many first-timers say “I had no idea — that was so much fun!” And with ticket prices only $6 to $12, we’ve made it so easy to drop by, check it out and stay a while. We’ll see you this Saturday at Houston Mini Maker Faire!
A growing consensus is emerging nationally around the importance of what’s now described as “21st Century Skills” — creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and problem solving. Houston Mini Maker Faire, our own local festival of creativity and invention, is an excellent exhibition of these very things both applied and in action. We have a lot of inspirational things to show and share with our neighbors in Houston! Therefore, to help all the hard-working teachers further inform and inspire the next generation, we invite them to attend our event for free. But they must register in advance by “purchasing” a ticket on the ticketing website, select the “Teachers Get In Free” ticket type (cost = $0), bring their printed ticket receipt to the event and show their teacher’s ID at the check-in. Then go ahead and “enjoy the show” — and take a few notes along the way….
In just a few short weeks Houston Mini Maker Faire will be here! Please help us make sure more people learn about this informative and inspirational event by telling your family, friends and colleagues. We are a 501c3 nonprofit charity focused on STEM education to build 21st century skills all round the greater Houston area — it’s an important objective and anything you can do will help. Post about it on social media; broadcast it in emails; print posters and put them up at work, school and bulletin boards at coffee and bagel shops, the student centers, libraries, etc.; talk about it “over the water cooler” in the office. Here’s our info and media “kit” to fuel the broadcast (click on the links to access the information):
Thanks for your support! We’ll see you on Saturday 11/14 @ GRB Hall B3!
Makerspaces are places where knowledge and tools are shared and community is built. Where you can go to create and invent using the latest cool technologies and/or traditional crafts, or just hang out with really inspirational people and learn new things. See why people think a Makerspace is where you can build your mind and creativity like you build your body and health at a gym. Maker Faire is the one event of the year where you can walk up to and visit with every public Makerspace in the Houston area to learn more about them. Makerspace locations are shown on the Houston-area map above. Click on the Makerspace name for a link to their website; click on the map to see a larger clearer version.